Saturday 24 September 2011

Beginnings

I was in my garden one morning and was struck by the very little amount of time I spend in it and yet it seemed to be doing everything I want it to do. It has to be both low maintenance and productive in equal proportion - hasty and tasty. Bearing in mind I live a more-than-averagely busy life and given that this website is largely dedicated to ideas of a green persuasion, this page might provide me with the inspiration to keep going and some readers with inspiration to start something. So with this reasonably immodest premise here goes...
18th Sept 2011
Was urged into the garden by the sunlight giving me an invitation I just couldn't refuse. Being recently semi-retired and on a fixed income (unless Radish was to suddenly provide me with a reasonable living) it dawned on me that my frequent visits to expensive garden centres had to stop. Therefore decided that sowing seeds had to be the cheapest way forward so this particular patch was reserved for a scattering of annuals, my usual planting of half a dozen cut and come again lettuces and three runner bean plants historically provided by my next door neighbour. Lettuces finished too early - didn't cut them enough due to being at the caravan for three weeks in August. Runner beans late but a success - still cutting them after giving them a drenching to encourage more flowers before the first frosts - but the annuals were a complete bust! However, to see this picture you wouldn't think it! Obviously some errant nasty-tershums set unexpected seed and filled the gaps. Anyway, did a bit of a clean up, popped some stale bread on the squirrel table in the hope that the birds get there first. Talking about creatures, got a bee/bug box from Wiggly Wigglers. It's an expensive do, so gave youngest offspring their catalogue from which to choose a Crimble present for me.  Good choice and the colour is fab. Can't say I've seen much creaturely signs yet but that could be because I couldn't even see the box until  cut away some of next door's viburnum that had covered it up completely.

Fab courgette (shame about the tomato plant!)Courgettes are still going strong. I only ever have two plants as they are prolific and am not very good with gluts. Have decided to pop one into a gap in the front garden next year - not so much because of the fruit but the leaves are actually really attractive and would make a good structural contrast with a non-berrying and fairly boring holly. Well it's either that or a rather nice hosta...Have got to revitalise my fruit patch next. Waited for my goosegogs to ripen and my decision to harvest them coincided with some blackbirds who had the same idea (mental note, is netting safe? Investigate.) Also apples. Have got an idea to fence off the 'annual patch' with step-over apples and cherries. Will keep you posted.

Recommended reading from the Webstore:
The Edible Garden by Alys Fowler
Grow Your Own Food Reading List on the Radishwebstore

No comments:

Post a Comment